Voting

Sunday, April 19, 2009

double ear infections and a rash

I haven't been very good at blogging on a regular basis. This has been because my baby has been sick.

Tuesday night he came down with a fever of 102.5. I called the doctor but they said to give him tylenol and wait to see if the fever was gone by the morning. Well, it wasn't. It was 102 and I called back. Again they said to give him tylenol and to continue waiting. If the fever was still there on Thursday then I could bring him in. So the rest of the day, the fever went down to 101. Hayden was very fussy and only wanted to be held. If I put him down beside he cried and screamed. I have to admit that I enjoyed my cuddle time with him seeing that I don't get that very often since he is so active, however, I was sad that it came at the expense of him being sick.

Thursday rolled around and he still had a fever of 101.6. I called my pediatrician and he was booked for the day, but I could see another dr. so I went. After a long wait in the waiting room (25 minutes past my appointment),we finally got called back. The doctor checked him out and declared that he had double ear infections. Luckily we had caught it before it was at the painful stage. Hayden had not been pulling on his ears, but his fever and lethargic behavior let us know something was not right.


He put Hayden on amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium. He was to take it twice a day. Hayden was okay until the third dose. I gave it to him and put him down for a nap. When he woke up, he was broken out in a rash on his chest, back, face, and head. This was weird because he has had amoxicillin 2 other times and did not have a reaction. We contacted the pharmacist that night and the dr. the next day. Apparently it make take a few rounds on the antibiotic for an allergy to appear. He is now on a new antibiotic and is doing great. Thank goodness for a speedy recovery.

1 comment:

  1. i'm glad hayden is feeling better. so glad you started a blog, so we can see what ya'll are up to more frequently. i'm going to try to do more posts during the week.

    love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete